Wisdom and Knowledge is supreme!

"Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I may not forget you." William Arthur

My Photo
Name:
Location: Panabo City, Davao Del Norte, Philippines

Hi! My name is Moises ( A.K.A. Moses) P. Reconalla. I graduated my Bachelors degree in History, Minor in Political Science from Adventist University of the Philippines. I hold a master's degree in teaching and education in Guidance & Counseling from Cor Jesu College. I am a teacher and Guidance Counselor by Profession. I created this blog just to share my thoughts about the goodness of my Loving God in my life. "Live full, Die empty!"

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Understanding the individual




Really seeking to understand another person is probably one of the most important deposits you can make, and it is the key to every other deposit. You simply don't know what constitutes a deposit to another person until you understand that individual. What might be a deposit for you - going for a walk to talk things over, going out for ice cream together, working on a common project - might not be perceived by someone else as a deposit at all. It might even be perceived as a withdrawal, if it doesn't touch the person's deep interests or needs.

One person's mission is another person's minutia. To make a deposit, what is important to another person must be as important to you as the other person is to you. You may be working on a high priority project when your six-year-old child interrupts with something that seems trivial to you, but it may be very important from the child's point of view. It takes discipline to recognize and recommit yourself to the value of that person and to subordinate your schedule to that human priority. By accepting the value of what the child has to say, you show an understanding of the child, and that makes a great deposit.

Our tendency is to project out of our own autobiographies what we think other people want or need. We project our intentions on the behavior of others. We interpret what constitutes a deposit based on our own needs and desires, either now or when we were at a similar age or stage in life. If they don't interpret our effort as a deposit, our tendency is to take it as a rejection of our well intentioned effort and to give up.

The Golden Rule says to "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." While on the surface that could mean to do for them what you would like to have done for you, I think the more essential meaning is to understand them deeply as individuals, the way you would want to be understood, and then to treat them in terms of that understanding. As one successful parent said about raising children, "Treat them all the same by treating them differently."

Attending to the Little Things
The little kindnesses and courtesies are so important. Small discourties, little unkindnesses, little forms of disrespect make large withdrawals. In relationships, the little things are the big things. People are very tender, very sensitive inside. I don't believe age or experience makes much difference. Inside, even within the most toughened and calloused exteriors, are the tender feelings and emotions of the heart.


Attending to the Little Things
The little kindnesses and courtesies are so important. Small discourties, little unkindnesses, little forms of disrespect make large withdrawals. In relationships, the little things are the big things. People are very tender, very sensitive inside. I don't believe age or experience makes much difference. Inside, even within the most toughened and calloused exteriors, are the tender feelings and emotions of the heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home